Why Wayne State University School of Medicine?
- We have longstanding partnerships with nationally renowned medical institutions — many of which are only steps from campus — including the hospitals of the Detroit Medical Center and Henry Ford Health System.
- You can walk from class straight to the wing of a major medical center and apply your knowledge working directly with patients.
- Our partnerships with and proximity to major urban medical institutions give you a distinct experiential advantage when applying for residency programs.
- The medical degree program is fully accredited, with a 98 percent first attempt pass rate on the United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1, exceeding the 96 percent national rate.
- Our 2017 Total Success Match Rate is 97.3 percent — well above the national average.
- You won't just observe in lecture halls and laboratories; you'll interact, participating directly in the patient-care process the moment you set foot on campus.
- You'll gain invaluable exposure to clinical skills in your first and second years with training through our nationally recognized ultrasound and physical diagnosis curricula.
In the community
As you pursue your medical degree, you have the opportunity to use your skills to serve communities throughout metropolitan Detroit. Nearly all Wayne State University medical students take part in community outreach programs to enrich their education, including:
- Volunteer work at free clinics throughout the city
- Patient care for the homeless
- Mentorship programs for Detroit schoolchildren
- Renovation efforts in local neighborhoods
- Student-led interest groups that provide education and effect policy change at the local, state and national levels
Around the world
If you're interested in international medicine, you have ample opportunities to take your studies abroad:
- Travel with one of several medical relief groups in South America, Central America, Asia and Africa.
- Help establish mobile clinics to provide health care to underserved communities throughout the world.
- Join the World Health Student Organization on medical relief trips to provide much-needed health care to patients outside the United States.
In the lab
- The Wayne State University School of Medicine has research partnerships with many of the leading health care facilities right in our back yard.
- You have the opportunity to participate in clinical and basic science research with renowned faculty experts throughout your medical degree program.
- We offer a competitive award program to first-year students who demonstrate advanced grantsmanship skills.
The Year 1 revised curriculum will be enhanced, experiential and exceptional. It will provide students with:
- An organ systems-based curriculum that blends and reinforces basic sciences and clinical experiences from day one, integrating classroom, self-directed learning and small-group learning with clinical skills, cases, experience and training.
- A focused clinical skills course.
- A deep and authentic understanding of health needs and social determinants among various populations.
- Multiple ways to take advantage of experiential service learning, community engagement and research opportunities via individualized elective tracks and strong academic, health care and community partnerships.
- A longitudinal focus on professionalism that stresses quality and compassionate care, cultural competency and leadership.
- Continuous quality improvement and assessment efforts that help ensure the best student experience possible.
Diversity isn't a slogan at Wayne State University, it's a reality. Our students come from the local community, nearly every state, more than 60 countries, and represent a wide array of cultures and backgrounds. This gives you a distinct advantage in the real world by preparing you to work with people from all walks of life.
- From Africans in Medicine and Amigos Médicos to the Jewish Medical Student Association, we offer a wide selection of student organizations that encourage collaboration and camaraderie.
- Wayne State University's student body is the most diverse in Michigan.
- A Wayne State University medical education prepares you to become a global citizen and adapt easily to change.
Wayne State University is in the heart of Detroit, a city whose history, culture and economic resurgence make it one of the most fascinating places in the world to live, learn, work and play. Every day, students and faculty participate in the reinvention of a great American city while enjoying a beautiful campus surrounded by world-class medical centers, museums, cultural institutions, eateries, and sports and entertainment venues.
- Wayne State University is ranked among the 50 safest campuses in the United States by BestColleges.com, offering more than 200 acres of green space and walking paths in the heart of a bustling city.
- Nearly 3,000 students live on campus in three residence halls and three apartment buildings.
- The Wayne State University Police Department, our dedicated 60-officer police department, patrols campus and the surrounding neighborhoods 24/7.
- Countless business, employment and community engagement opportunities are available thanks to the university's decades of relationship-building in the urban and metropolitan Detroit areas.
Explore our campus to learn more about unparalleled opportunity in an incomparable city.